All I want for Christmas is…
When you buy your dog any present, always stop and ask yourself – is this for the dog, or is this for me?
My favourite is to wrap a few strong smelling dog treats in some Christmas paper and let the dogs tear open a package each. The kids love watching that, the dogs get a job to do, and it keeps them all quiet for a while!
A quick poll of my friends (highly unscientific, I know) came up with the following ideas for doggy Christmas gifts:
- Nina Ottosson puzzle toys, especially the Tornado
- Oinky pigs
- Orka Jack
- Kong toys
- Squeaky toys (note: these are not human favourites!)
- Stuffed toys of all shapes and sizes
Tennis balls, tennis balls, tennis balls… (usually best left to smaller dogs)
You can tell we are all experienced dog owners, because every single one of these toys was picked for the dogs enjoyment and not for ours.
So – where do you find all these without putting on the riot gear and battling your way into town? The internet of course.
Here are a few great places to find those last minute doggy christmas
- Dogs Trust Gifts – Some great gifts for dogs and dog lovers and it all goes to charity.
- D for Dog – These guys have a wonderful range of Christmas rawhide goodies and toys
- Chewed Slippers – Frome Edible christmas cards to luxury bed, great store
- Mia and Maggie One for our US friends(they only ship to the contiental US)
So that’s the dog taken care of, what about you?
If you are looking for a treat for yourself, why not invest in a book to snuggle up and read through the winter evenings? My Christmas list is always full of books and they make excellent gifts – here are two from one of our well known Vet, Pete Wedderburn.
We have a copy of each of these books to give away to two of our lucky commenters. Just tell us using the form below what you’re going to get your dog for christmas followed be either #Cat of #Dog depending on which book you are interersted in winning. At the end of the day we’ll pick two winners at random who will be announced on tomorrows blog post
p.s. Keep an eye out for Pete’s Christmas Advent Calendar Day coming soon!